The Alumni Association of The City College of New York/CUNY can trace its origin to the first graduating class. On July 26, 1853, members of the class, meeting in the chapel of the original building on 23rd Street, formed the Associate Alumni of The Free Academy. On April 30, 1866, The Free Academy became The College of the City of New York (hence the initials CCNY), and the name of the Associate Alumni changed accordingly. In those early days the organization was mainly a social group with interests centered on the affairs of the College. 

 

On March 7, 1913 the Association was incorporated in the State of New York as the Associate Alumni of the College of the City of New York, Inc. The Alumni Association is an independent organization with its own officers and Board of Directors.

 

As the Association grew it eventually obtained an office on the City College campus in the Webster Room, located on the fifth floor of the Main Building (now known as Shepard Hall). Later the Alumni Office moved to a space in the then new Library Building. Beginning in 1935 it occupied Rooms 106 and 107 in Townsend Harris Hall, and later the Alumni Office moved to 280 Convent Avenue. When CCNY acquired the South Campus in the 1950s, the Association received space on the fifth floor of the Finley Student Center. Its current offices are located on the first floor of Shepard Hall, off Lincoln Corridor.

 

In the 1950s the Associate Alumni became the Alumni Association, and special interest groups were formed to better serve the particular concerns of our graduates: the Business & Economics and Engineering Constituent Groups, and a number of Affiliate Groups (Alumni Varsity Association, Architecture, Asian, Black, Latino, Center for Worker Education, Communications, Education, Nursing, Science, and Chapters located around the nation). The purpose of the Alumni Association, as stated in its By-Laws, is to promote the general welfare of The City College of The City University of New York and its alumni, to establish beneficial relationships between CCNY and its alumni, to advance public higher education and the interests of students without regard to race, creed, color or national origin, and to promote the ideals enunciated in The Ephebic Oath of The City College.